Sunday, August 17, 2008

What Makes News?

I am probably going to make a few people mad at me, but I really don't care. As the saying/song goes, 'You've Got to Stand for Something or You'll Fall For Anything.' As a Christian I must ask what makes Ellen Degeneres's marriage front page news? For that matter, what makes any star front page news unless it is a death or something of significance to help others.

Let me clarify my comment a bit more. Today, Tropical Storm Fay destroyed parts of Haiti and Cuba, the Florida Keys are being evacuated or at least vacationers and visitors are being asked to leave & yet I learned this news from people at church. I get my news via laptop & my headlines this morning was a lesbian marriage? What gives?

I have family and friends in Florida and the southern east coast as well as many other people do, does Yahoo honestly think we wouldn't want news of the storm? No, they put it finally on their news feeds later because Ellen's marriage was important.

Aside from that, I will drop the subject here because my blog isn't about politics or gay marriages, but my question is more on what is really news and what is Hollywood Hype.

No comments: